National Philosophy of Education

Education in Malaysia is an on-going effort towards developing the potential of individuals in a holistic and integrated manner, so as to produce individuals who are intellectually, spiritually, emotionally and physically balanced and harmonious based on a firm belief in and devotion to God. Such an effort is designed to produce Malaysian citizens who are knowledgeable and competent, who possess high moral standards and who are responsible and capable of achieving a high level of personal well being as well as being able to contribute to the harmony and betterment of the family, society and the nation at large.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Friend's problems and Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

Abraham Maslow

THE 'MASALAH PROBLEM':

A blogger; friend of mine has put her problems related to his daughter who was reluctant to go to school recently. (read her post here, Title: MASALAH PROBLEM) This problem reminds me of the Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. This theory was introduced by a Jewish scholar - Abraham Maslow. I learnt about this theory when I was taking my psychology of education subject. I have not learnt the theory in depth since at that time I had to learn many learning theories. However about my friend's problem with her daughter, this theory I feel has significance relationship with it.

MASLOW TELLS US THAT:

Some children are able or ready to learn while others are not due to 7 fulfillments of needs. These are called Hierarchy of needs. The Hierarchy is shown in the diagram below.



Looking at the diagram above, the lower levels need to be fulfilled for the higher level to be achieved. This means about the troublesome of my friends daughter, the parents should have checked every level to trace what the real problem is and why the child was not motivated to go to school.

I also had similar problems with my daughters few years back. I found that she had problems in the first level which was at the 'Physiological Needs'. She slept late at night and had trouble to wake up early morning. To solve that problems, I had to sacrifice my routine sleeping time (which was late up to 12.oo a.m ++) and pursued her to sleep as early as 9.00 p.m.



No comments: